Recreation Area Closures
Upgrades & closures
Picnic area and beach
The picnic area and beach are currently under snow. All trails have areas with compacted snow, making for slippery walking conditions. The roadways and parking lots are all clear, however the equestrian parking lot remains closed due to snow and ice.
All visitors are advised to wear footwear suitable for icy trial conditions. Please allow for extra time to complete your hike.
Trail and bridge upgrades
West Buntzen Trail
West Buntzen Trail is now open with these bridge upgrades:
- West approach to Suspension Bridge
- Sitka Creek Bridge
- Trillium Trail
- Umbrellawort Creek Bridge
- Willow Creek Bridge
- Xanthoria Creek Bridge
East Buntzen Trail
Southern section open with upgraded Powerhouse Connector #1 Bridge and Lower Elderberry Creek Bridge removed for forest reclamation.
Halvor Lunden Trail
Halvor Lunden Trail is now open with the upgraded Halvor Lunden Bridge.
East Buntzen Lake Trail
- Trail is now open with a new staircase connecting to Powerhouse Road at the north end of the trail.
- The small trail section immediately north of the stairs is closed until further notice.
Portions of the 10 km circuit around Hayward Lake Reservoir are currently closed due to Ruskin Dam construction.
Reservoir Trail: March 18 to April 29, 2019
The Reservoir Trail will be closed from the Hairsine Inlet to the District of Mission / BC Hydro south boundary. The closure is required for trail and bridge upgrades.
Reservoir Trail: April 29 to June 30, 2019
The entire Reservoir Trail and north parking lot (east of Blind Slough Bridge) will be closed to accommodate bridge and trail upgrades.
Reservoir Trail: Ruskin Dam to Hairsine Inlet
The Reservoir Trail is closed from Ruskin Dam to Hairsine Inlet. The trail can be accessed from the Reservoir Trail parking lot east of Blind Slough Dam at Stave Falls. The floating bridge across Hairsine Inlet will remain closed while we investigate options to reconnect the trail.
The Railway Trail can be accessed from the Upper Railway Parking Lot or from the Hayward Lake Reservoir Recreation Area. The lower Railway Trail parking lot is closed.
Construction is underway. The following closures and parking restrictions are in effect:
- Hayward Street over Ruskin Dam will continue to be closed to all motor vehicles, bicycles and pedestrian traffic. Anticipate re-opening in winter 2019.
- Hayward Street will be closed north of Keystone Avenue (except for local traffic) to Ruskin Dam. Parking will not be permitted. Anticipate re-opening in winter 2019.
- Wilson Street will continue to operate for alternating single lane traffic at the dam, limited parking is available along the street. Anticipate re-opening in December 2018.
- The Ruskin Recreation/Picnic site, located south of Ruskin Dam, will be closed to the public. This area, including the parking lot, will be fenced and used for construction. Anticipate re-opening in spring 2019.
- The Lower Railway parking lot, northwest of Ruskin Dam, will be closed. The interim Upper Railway Parking Lot, located further up Wilson Street, will be available and provides access for trail and beach users. Anticipate re-opening in spring 2019.
- Hiking Trails: Portions of the 10 km circuit around Hayward Lake Reservoir will be closed.
- The Reservoir Trail will remain closed from Ruskin Dam to Hairsine Inlet. The north end of the trail can be accessed from the Reservoir Trail parking lot east of Blind Slough Dam at Stave Falls. In preparing to re-install the floating bridge across Hairsine Inlet, we discovered that the bridge and abutments were in poor condition and unsafe for public use. We're investigating options to allow public access to this area.
- The Railway Trail can be accessed from the Upper Railway Parking Lot or from the Hayward Lake Reservoir Recreation Area. The lower Railway Trail parking lot is closed. Anticipate re-opening in spring 2019.