Recreation Area Closures
- Stave Lake boat ramp
- Buntzen Lake repairs, upgrades
- Hayward Lake repairs and upgrades
- RCMP patrols at various sites
- Ruskin Dam & Powerhouse upgrades
Work to remove and rebuild the retaining wall on the access road has been delayed due to winter weather conditions. To ensure worker and public safety, the access road and boat ramp will be closed until early March.
Trails and bridges
Repairs and improvements to a number of trails and bridges at Buntzen Lake will be happening this fall and winter. For safety, the east side of the Buntzen Lake trail will be closed until further notice. Please watch for trail closure maps and detour signs in the area.
Docks at the north and south picnic areas
Dock replacement was to begin Monday, March 6 and is expected to take about two weeks. Both the north and south beach docks will not be accessible to the public.
The main boat launch and boat ramp will also be closed to the public. However, the dirt road boat launch will be open for people who want to bring their canoes and kayaks down to the water.
Fisherman dock and canoe landing dock
Both docks will be replaced starting around October 19. Work will take approximately two weeks.
Trails and bridges
Work will be starting in mid-October to replace a number of bridges along the Reservoir Trail and Harry's Trail. Also, trail rehabilitation will be taking place along Harry's Trail, Railway Trail, and the approaches to Clay Bridge. For safety, sections of the trails will be closed so please watch for trail closure signs in the area.
The RCMP will be patrolling public parks and recreation areas throughout the province for the unlawful use of alcohol and drugs. This includes BC Hydro property, and particularly the Lower Mainland and Chilliwack areas.
BC Hydro prohibits the consumption of alcohol and illegal drugs, and this is strictly enforced by the RCMP at our recreation areas.
Construction is underway. The following closures and parking restrictions are in effect through project completion in 2018.
- Hayward Street over Ruskin Dam will continue to be closed to all motor vehicles, bicycles and pedestrian traffic.
- Hayward Street will be closed north of Keystone Avenue (except for local traffic) to Ruskin Dam. Parking will not be permitted.
- Wilson Street will continue to operate for alternating single lane traffic at the dam, limited parking is available along the street.
- The Ruskin Recreation/Picnic site, located south of Ruskin Dam, will be closed to the public. This area, including the parking lot, will be fenced and used for construction.
- The Lower Railway parking lot, northwest of Ruskin Dam, will be closed. The interim Upper Railway Parking Lot, located further up Wilson Street, will be available and provides access for trail and beach users.
- Hiking Trails: Portions of the 10 km circuit around Hayward Lake Reservoir will be closed.
- The Reservoir Trail will be closed from Ruskin Dam to Hairsine Inlet due to construction activity on the left abutment. During construction, the trail can be accessed from the Reservoir Trail parking lot east of Blind Slough Dam at Stave Falls.
- The Railway Trail (currently closed) can be accessed from the Upper Railway Parking Lot or from the Hayward Lake Reservoir Recreation Area.