Recreation Area Closures
Upgrades & closures
The Hayward Lake reservoir water level will be lowered to accommodate annual maintenance on the Ruskin Dam spillway gates. The reservoir is being lowered from an elevation of 41 metres to approximately 34.8 metres by June 6, 2017 and will remain at this elevation until June 10, 2017. Normal operating levels will return by June 13, 2017.
Lower than average water levels will expose steep shorelines and slippery slopes along Hayward Beach and the entire reservoir shore. All beaches and the boat launch will be closed and fenced off for public safety beginning June 1, 2017. The picnic grounds will remain open and available for public use.
Trails will remain open, however hikers will be unable to complete the Railway/Reservoir Trail loop due to the closure of both Ruskin Dam and the Floating Bridge at Hairsine Creek.
An environmental management plan has been developed to protect fish and wildlife during the lower water levels. If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact BC Hydro at 1 866 647 3334 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fisherman dock and canoe landing dock
Both docks have been replaced and final adjustments are being completed. Please watch for signs in the area.
Trails and bridges
Work began in October, 2016, to replace a number of bridges along the Reservoir Trail and Harry's Trail. Also, trail rehabilitation will be taking place along Harry's Trail, Railway Trail, and the approaches to Clay Bridge. For safety, sections of the trails will be closed so please watch for trail closure signs in the area.
Construction is underway. The following closures and parking restrictions are in effect through project completion in 2018.
- Hayward Street over Ruskin Dam will continue to be closed to all motor vehicles, bicycles and pedestrian traffic.
- Hayward Street will be closed north of Keystone Avenue (except for local traffic) to Ruskin Dam. Parking will not be permitted.
- Wilson Street will continue to operate for alternating single lane traffic at the dam, limited parking is available along the street.
- The Ruskin Recreation/Picnic site, located south of Ruskin Dam, will be closed to the public. This area, including the parking lot, will be fenced and used for construction.
- The Lower Railway parking lot, northwest of Ruskin Dam, will be closed. The interim Upper Railway Parking Lot, located further up Wilson Street, will be available and provides access for trail and beach users.
- Hiking Trails: Portions of the 10 km circuit around Hayward Lake Reservoir will be closed.
- The Reservoir Trail will be closed from Ruskin Dam to Hairsine Inlet due to construction activity on the left abutment. During construction, the trail can be accessed from the Reservoir Trail parking lot east of Blind Slough Dam at Stave Falls.
- The Railway Trail (currently closed) can be accessed from the Upper Railway Parking Lot or from the Hayward Lake Reservoir Recreation Area.