MNT: What's happening
A transmission improvement for Metro Vancouver
At this time, we've determined the planned 230 kilovolt (kV) power line would be approximately 27 kilometers (km) long and include:
- A 10 km overhead power line from Meridian Substation in Coquitlam (Westwood Plateau area) to the south side of Burrard Inlet in Burnaby;
- A 9 km underground power line from the south side of Burrard Inlet to Horne Payne Substation in Burnaby (Lougheed Highway and Gilmore Avenue);
- A 8 km underground power line from Horne Payne Substation to Mount Pleasant Substation in Vancouver (West 6th Avenue and Alberta Street);
- A new terminal station on BC Hydro property south of Burrard Inlet where the overhead line will transition from overhead to underground; and,
- New infrastructure at existing substations in Coquitlam, Burnaby and Vancouver.
Here's a look at our preferred route:
See our photo metric satellite map [PDF, 7.6 MB] of the preferred route.
More information by municipality
The new 230 kilovolt (kV) line will run from Coquitlam to Vancouver. Select the links below for more information on the project in a specific municipality.