Who Can Apply
What's required for eligibility
To be eligible to apply for the Standing Offer Program, the developer and the project must meet a number of requirements. Detailed eligibility requirements can be found in Section 2 of the Program Rules.
Key requirements include:
- Clean or renewable: the energy must be clean or renewable as defined in the Clean Energy Act.
- Located in B.C.: projects must be located in British Columbia, which includes Canadian and B.C. territorial waters. Projects must not be located in a Protected Area as defined in the Clean Energy Act.
- Size: the project must be greater than 0.1 megawatts and no greater than 15 megawatts.
- New generators: new generators are eligible to participate. Generation technology must meet the requirements to be considered either Commercial Operation Generation Technology or Completed Prototype Generation Technology.
- Projects with BC Hydro customer involvement: Projects located behind a BC Hydro customer load and projects with BC Hydro customer involvement that are not located behind a customer load must first proceed through the Integrated Customer Solutions process before a review of an application to the SOP is conducted for that project.
- BC Hydro incentives and other Electricity Purchase Agreements: conditions and restrictions apply to energy from projects that have previous, current or future Electricity Purchase Agreements ("EPAs") with BC Hydro, and developers receiving BC Hydro incentives.
- Target Commercial Operation Date: the project's target commercial operation date must be within three years of signing the Project EPA.
- Permits: the developer must have obtained all material permits required for the project, demonstrate site control, and the site must be zoned appropriately if local government land-use requirements apply.
- First Nations consultation: BC Hydro will be assessing the adequacy of First Nations consultation for a project submitted for consideration into the Standing Offer Program prior to offering an EPA.
Refer to the Standing Offer Program Rules and Application Form for additional eligibility requirements and details.